Sunday, August 2, 2009

Just be.

It was almost as if my dogs knew we were going to sit. And just be.

I needed a little pick me up, as did Adam, so he volunteered to brew a fresh pot of hazelnut coffee. Mmmm. It's aroma smelled delicious flowing upstairs to me as I sat unfulfilled at this very computer. After a while, I finally made the descent to the kitchen. I mindlessly grabbed one of my favorite mugs. Now I mostly drink my coffee black, but today I remembered that the fridge was holding a favorite creamer of a dear friend that she recommended I try. Sweet Italian Cream.

So again, my mind wandering elsewhere about things on my check list of stuff to get done, not paying attention to pouring the creamer or coffee into my mug, I began walking towards the living room. Where did the last 45 seconds go? I know it just happened because my mug is full and hot, but I don't remember consciously getting my coffee...

There I stood in the doorway to my living room, at the bottom of my stairs about to go back up, looking into a room so inviting. Telling me to come in & sit down. I could not ignore this invitation. I listened.

No lights on, the drapes drawn to keep the room cool from the heat of the sun on that side of the house. I knew which corner of the room to sit in and on what couch. With my two sidekicks, Schotzee & Frank, in tow I headed right where I needed to be at that exact moment.

And like I said. It was almost as if they knew we were going to sit, & just be for a while.

I let my body sink into the corner of the couch, pulled my knees towards my chest so that my feet could rest on the edge, embraced my hot mug of coffee with both hands & relaxed. One at a time, in an odd orderly fashion, Schotzee & Frank jumped up & took a load off as well. Each of them letting out a sigh as they too let their little bodies fall limp on the couch. It was almost as if they were saying, "It's about time you listened & were present with yourself. We will be right here when your done. Go on now..."

I took that first sip of coffee like I had never drank anything of the liking before. Enjoying the warmth permeating the mug into my hands, I lifted it to my face & took in the steam rolling off the top. I inhaled deeply as if it were filling my torso & every limb of my body. The aroma, sweet & nutty, fulfilled my olfactory senses with delight, yet left me absolutely yearning to taste & feel the hot liquid in my mouth. I inhaled & exhaled with a quiet mind for a moment concentrating on the sensations my body was feeling. The warm, hard ceramic touched my bottom lip & was quickly followed by the wetness of the coffee to my upper lip. In to my mouth it flowed graciously, with a velvety smooth sensation, elating my taste buds.

Every. Single. One.

Did it taste so amazing because someone else made it for me? Maybe it was that creamer that Meg Ryan suggested... oh, how about because it was one of my favorite mugs? No, no, and no again.

The universe is clearly screaming at me today is Sunday & I am listening. The one day a week I don't work. The one day a week I take for myself to reflect on the past week, see what lies ahead and prepare myself physically, emotionally, and spiritually for the week to come.

I had been so preoccupied with this & that, stuff that needed to be done around the house, a list I made to accomplish for the weekend. But where was I? My body was here, my mind was floating aimlessly just above my body, within reach, but not in touch.

Until I walked into the living room. Sat down. Felt. Listened. And just was.

So Friends, I encourage you to take a few minutes. Enjoy your cup of coffee. Really, really enjoy it. Listen to your thoughts. Don't judge them, just be present with them. Your body, mind, & soul will realign & you will walk away with a peacefulness that will allow you to flow through the rest of your day more mindful.

Remember: peace within, creates peace without.

1 comment:

  1. Bobbi- this idea of just being has been on my mind as well. It is a real gift to your health to be able to just be. Thanks for the inspiration. I linked to this post on my Body In Balance blog.

    ReplyDelete